Bus Rapid Transit for New York City
New York City has the slowest buses in America. What can be done to improve bus speeds and make bus service more efficient and attractive?
This report, commissioned by the NYPIRG Straphangers Campaign and Transportation Alternatives, shows how bus rapid transit features can be applied to improve bus service in New York City.
Report Summary (html file)
"Bus Rapid Transit for New York City" (2.1 megabyte file in Acrobat PDF format)
- Overview of Bus Rapid Transit
- Implementing BRT in New York City
- Alternatives for First and Second Avenue in Manhattan
"Appendixes to Bus Rapid Transit for New York City" (1.1 megabyte file in Acrobat PDF format)
- Detailed review of BRT Features
- Details on How Alternatives A, B and C Will Work on First/Second Avenue
- Modeling Travel Time Savings
Report published June 2002